Thursday 21 December 2017

Gold - Spandau Ballet

In the lead-up to Christmas I thought I’d get all festive and use 'Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh' as suitable themes for my Advent Blogs. And luckily for me, ‘Gold’ written by Gary Kemp, is a great theme tune to accompany my thoughts for the day.

‘Gold’ ironically peaked in ‘Silver-Medal’ position in the UK Charts in 1983, being held off the top spot by KC and the Sunshine Band if you were at all interested. Anyway, it’s always been a favourite Spandau song of mine, especially the 12” Version, and it’s Tony Hadley’s 24-carat vocals that have always really made it for me.

You see, every time I hear the song, the lyrics always get me pumped up, especially as I love winning – don’t you?

These are my salad days, slowly being eaten away…
I was reminded of this only the other day as of course ‘these are my salad days’ as I’m no spring-chicken at 55. I mean, have you thought how long your body can survive your current level of loading and future expectations? I speak to lots of folk with ‘Fast-moving-consumer-mind-sets’ that have the Private Health Sector working overtime fixing knees, ankles etc. in a bid to keep the body moving, the mind sane and the impossible, plausible. 

I’m not preaching either, as I’m just as guilty following my fractured shoulder. Yielding to a steroid injection to improve my range of motion and reducing the miserable pain for a mere £240 was the best money I’ve spent in ages. 

My word, the aging process has a lot to answer for.

Just another play for today…
Well in real terms, all we can do is worry about today. Lots of folk I meet are still evaluating their yesterday’s or too busy playing out other folk’s lives. ‘Live for Today’ is such a driver for me as you never know what’s around the corner - take it from me it’s never quite what you expect.

Oh, but I'm proud of you but I'm proud of you…
And yes, be proud of your accomplishments as they take more than blood, sweat and tears. They take Courage. Thinking BIG is one thing but having balls, (proper ‘Big Balls') will only help in the long run as it's far better to regret something you have done, rather than regret not doing it at all.

Nothing left to make me feel small, luck has left me standing so tall…
I’m happy I’m proud and feeling tall today. But there’s lots of folk that don’t feel that way and believe that ‘Luck’ plays a huge part in life’s richness. Well, I believe you make your own 'Luck' and can ‘Design for Life’ to a certain degree, so why not adopt a ‘New Year – New You’ policy for 2018?

You're indestructible...
It really works. It did for me in 1994 and it can work for you too. Yes, I’ve had some luck, made my own luck and I'm proven to be indestructible. Well that’s what I believe, which can’t be a bad thing can it?

Anyway, I’m off to find a song with Frankincense in it for tomorrow’s musings (If there is one) and why not start being ‘Gold’ for once.

Always believing…

Rory Coleman - rory@colemancoaching.co.uk
1,007 Marathons - 245 Ultras - 14 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records

1 comment:

  1. https://www.lyrics.com/lyrics/Frankincense
    Greetings, John E

    ReplyDelete