Tuesday 12 September 2017

Marathon des Sables - Six Months to go, Countdown

Over the years, the Marathon des Sables has become a clear ‘must-do event’ on many people’s bucket list since its first edition, way back in 1986. Since then nearly 20,000 people have discovered the limits of ‘Human Endurance’ during the World’s Toughest Footrace in the Western Sahara, myself included.

Even though I’ve run the MdS fourteen times, more than any other UK competitor, I was a comparatively a late starter to the 150-mile multi-day, multi-staged event - my first MdS was in fact the 14th Edition of the race in 1999. I was however an established marathon and ultra-marathon runner by then and the 45-mile ‘long-day’ that year was actually my 29th Ultra and 152nd lifetime Marathon.
The 22nd MdS in 2007 - My 4th MdS
To enter the race, you simply rang the UK MdS agent at the time and paid over the phone by card – I won’t depress you with how cheap it was and you received a nice glossy folder which had a simple A4 document inside that listed the compulsory equipment, highlighted using P20 sun-cream and some advice on undertaking long treks in training as good foot preparation accompanied in trainers two-sizes too big to avoid the dreaded blisters.

You see, back then there was no internet, reference books, blogs and or anyone to contact that had completed the race. I went into the race blind but luckily, I went my fitness levels were at an all-time peak. I carried far too much gear though and my pack weighed at least 11kgs. It didn’t stop me from enjoying the whole ‘MdS Experience’ and there is something to be said for making do with whatever you take with you. I can only liken it to going to climb Mount Everest, without any previous climbing experience and buying all of the essential gear you’ll need from your local Outdoors Outlet.

For the record, if I were going to attempt to summit Everest, I’d first speak to a good friend of mine who did just that last year to get a flavour of what he went through, but then I’d be contact with Kenton Cool, (Mr Everest) who’s been there twelve times and has never failed, as he's the REAL Everest Expert.

His lifetime expertise would play a vital part in anyone’s preparation, especially if they were trying to fast-track their progress from an enthusiastic beginner to extreme adventurer. The MdS is no different and has claimed two lives during its 32-year history and for safety and race enjoyments sake, it’s only sensible to take on board advice from someone that’s already paid the price emotionally and physically for what you are undertaking.

My biggest piece of advice to anyone attempting the MdS is to remember that it’s NOT a marathon or even an ULTRA-marathon. It’s a self-sufficiency race. Race Director Patrick Bauer, will tell you that many times during the eleven days you’ll spend in the desert amongst a lot of other things. Most folk that sign up are quite capable of running a sub-30 minute parkrun, a sub-two-hour-half or even a sub-four-hour-marathon yet it’s surprising just how many struggle with coming to terms with the investment that’s needed not in monetary terms but in TIME to get ready for a week in the sand.

The races wicked twist is that as your fatigue and blisters grow, so do the daily distances. It’s taken me years to find a tried and tested way of reducing the amount of foot trauma and I’ve been blister-free since 2008 myself.

There’s no magic potion, lotion or voodoo that will stop blisters, they’re caused by a combination of shoes, socks and gaiters, heat, friction, moisture as well as too much time spent on your feet completing each stage. It’s interesting that every kilo carried on the marathon stage for instance, adds roughly 25 minutes to your average road-marathon time and running a marathon in the sand will take around 40,000 steps rather than 65,000 if it’s walked. Getting fit and fast has always been one of my key points in preparing people for the race.

The attraction of the Marathon des Sables is simple. It’s you versus yourself in one of the most beautiful, yet hostile places on earth. It will take some competitors well past their limits and some of the distress I witness each year could be easily avoided with better preparation.
The 26th MdS in 2011 - My 8th MdS

Well, that’s where I come in and I’ve coached well over 1000 people get the coveted MdS Medal and tick off another item off their ‘Bucket-List’. If you are still wondering how you are going to prepare yourself for the race, there’s still 200 days to get yourself in the best possible shape. There’s also a complete spectrum of conflicting online opinions, kit advice and blogs to sift through and blow significant amounts of hard earned cash discovering what’s already been discovered and been already race-tested.

Going to the MdS, knowing you’ve prepared as best as you possibly can, makes for a much better race experience and will put your families mind at rest whilst you are taking part.

If you don't know where to start, please call me on 07866 477051 so I can share all my MdS experience with you and help make your whole MdS a lot more enjoyable.

Rory Coleman - 999 Marathons - 244 Ultras
14 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records
Location: Cardiff, Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment