Wednesday 22 March 2017

Planet Earth - Duran Duran

Lyrics:- Look now, look all around, there's no sign of life – Le Bon, Taylor x 3 & Bates

Song Choice:- I love a bit of the ‘Duran Duran Boys’ don’t you? Although at the time I wouldn’t have admitted to that as I classed them as a bit of a ‘Girl’s Band, if I’m being honest – Well, all that ‘New Romantic’ make-up and back-combing stuff was a bit OTT for an old ‘Prog Rocker’ like me. Anyway, they progressed as we all do and went on to make some fantastic songs all the way through the 80’s and 90’s IMO, and there are some real stand out classics to revisit such as ‘Ordinary World’ which is just a sublime ballad and well worth listening to again. I just did and I’ll ‘Blog’ that one out tomorrow.

You see ‘Planet Earth’, got me thinking. Isn’t it funny how as little specks of dust on this tiny speck of a planet revolving in a massive expanse of nothing which is never ending, that we spend so much of our time, living in the past? I know the universe is expanding and all that, at an alarming speed, but what is it about our history that makes us want to relive our yesterdays’ so much? In the grand scheme of things, they are a complete ‘Nano-millisecond of time’, that we fritter away so recklessly. 

I mean I blinked when I was 18 and now I’m 55, WTF happened? My first job back then, was illustrating finds on an ‘Archaeological Dig’ about the same time as Planet Earth was released. – We spent weeks scrapping away layer so of mud to look at Roman Remains less than 1800 years old. I mean that was over 30 years ago already and I wonder what happened to my drawings – maybe they are still in a museum somewhere as a record of a click of the fingers of athe past?

My own archaeology up to 2016 is written down for eternity, or for as long as it’s relevant I suppose and I’m already into writing the next few chapters of ‘Nano-milliseconds’ that I’ll be able to look back on in the future and relive in the comfort of my mind, in ‘Uninterrupted high-definition-rose-tinted-sepia-vision’- rather than look from above at ‘Planet Earth’ and see just what I’m missing or have missed along the way.

Am I on LSD? Well it sounds like it as this is a very weird blog. It’s very early and I’m not on mind bending medication I promise you… I’m just on ‘Planet Earth’ wearing red nail varnish as I’m a ‘New Romantic’ at heart, looking around both backwards and forwards for ‘Signs of Life’.

More tomorrow after a lie down…

Rory Coleman - 986 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8,477 Days' Alcohol Free
1 Inspirational Running Memoir - Get your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment