Monday 27 March 2017

Life's What You Make It - Talk Talk


Lyrics:- 'Life's what you make it, can't escape it' - Hollis & Friese-Greene

Song Choice:- It's probably Talk Talk's finest hour and this 1985 classic has to have one of the best 'hooks' a single could ever have wanted, yet somehow it only got to #16 in the UK charts. It's a shame as I always thought that Talk Talk were a such a great band but being pitched against the 'Live-Aid Mega-Groups' of the time, it meant they just weren't hip enough to make their mark. It's well worth a listen though and if you've forgotten the track or missed 'Talk Talk' all together you might well be surprised.


I've previously featured 'Talk Talk's' self-titled song 'Talk Talk' for the blog to highlight that I believe talk is cheap and action speaks far louder. If I'm your coach, and you are a procrastinator, you'll know that for sure.

You see, I love the whole feel of 'Life's what you make it' with its heavy piano lead, snapping drums and screaming guitars... it's always made me feel - Upbeat, Lucky & Very Alive.

And it's the 'Alive' bit that I'm interested in for today's blog as I so nearly wasn't last year.

It finally dawned on me over the weekend that if I hadn't had the Intravenous Immunoglobulins (IVIGs) when I had the Sub-Acute Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (SIDP) - I'd be dead. Properly Dead, Buried and Long-gone - along with my very confused 'Antibodies' which had attacked my own nervous system. It was part way through the Cardiff ParkRun when I was bashing out my quickest 5km post illness that it came to mind.

It's not the best of times to have such a moment of realisation but it did take away some of the pain and give me a great sense of gratitude that I'd made the life/death cut. Back in August last year, I could only dream of ever walking a 5km, let alone manage it at sub 9-minute mile pace, with faster times to come I hope.

It does to show you that anything is possible if you want it enough and make what you can from your life - don't escape it as you can't back-date it.

More tomorrow from Dublin...

Rory Coleman - 986 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8,482 Days' Alcohol Free
1 Inspirational Running Memoir - Get your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment