Sunday 8 January 2017

Pariah - Ozzy Osborne

Pariah Coleman - Video Message
Lyrics:- 'Addicted to Sobriety' - Butler, Osbourne & Iommi

Song Choice:- Taken from Sabbath's final album '13', this track popped up on my random play out running this morning and sums up my mood today, just perfectly.

You see I often feel like some kind of Pariah as I'm more than happy to stand out from the crowd and as Ozzy put's it so well, 'I'm addicted to sobriety'.

However, I class it as a positive addiction and at a time when over 1 million adults in the U.K. are alcohol addicted - comments of 'one drink won't harm you' and 'everything in moderation' just don't wash as that's where the trouble starts IMO.

Deciding to drink is a coming of age problem. When one reaches 18, it seems like a totally natural thing to go out and have a few 'legal' drinks. Any celebration is marked by 'getting pissed'. Our culture in the U.K. is strange...it's ok to be 34mg of Alcohol per 100ml of breath but not 35mg if you are breathalysed. If you get caught at 36mg that's seen as being 'hard luck'. In Sweden however it's <20mg and if you get caught, they throw away the key. Good idea if you ask me...

I won't wax on or off about it but it comes down to what's positive and what's negative about a drug that over 1 million people in the U.K. are dependent on. If it was a pill, there would be outrage but the duty funds the Government and keeps the supermarkets ticking over so what can be done - you would think that the 2 million children living with alcohol dependent parents would matter wouldn't you - but they obviously don't.

Change? I'm not sure how that happens... You could make some good decisions today though and I say and become a Pariah, the more of us the better I'd say.

Rory Coleman - 980 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8,404 Days' Alcohol Free.
Location: Caerdydd, Cymru
www.RoryColeman.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment