Sunday 11 September 2016

Good Day Sunshine - The Beatles

Lyrics:- 'I need to laugh, and when the sun is out, I've got something I can laugh about' - Lennon-McCartney

Song Choice:- 2.09 minutes of Summer Sunshine from the Fab Four. Have a listen to some 50 year old bottled sunshine here.

You see there's nothing quite like the feeling of the Sun on ones skin. I did a lot of that today down on the Pier at Penarth. It's one of my favourite places on Earth, yes really, and today's visit only enhanced my warm feelings of affection for this particular bit of Wales that I love so much.

Ok, emotions were high as it was the first time since June I'd been on the Pier, this time minus wheelchair and drugs, so it felt amazing to be walking on the wooden decking once again and yes, today was special.

There must be something magical about some of these old metal structures as I have similar feelings about the Old Severn Bridge and the Sydney Harbour Bridge, both of which I've run marathons on. It was the same during the Flora 1000 Mile Challenge in 2003 where I crossed over and under Tower Bridge twice-a-day.

Maybe it's part of the recovery process where I'm realising the world around me and I'm appreciating things I'd normally take for granted. Next time I'm in London, I'm definitely going to do some 'Running Tourism' around the sights, it's only right eh?

Unless, of course, you have some better ideas of more stunning scenery for me to run through or over?

Answers on a Postcard please...

Rory Coleman - 976 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8284 Days' Alcohol Free.
Location: Cardiff

No comments:

Post a Comment