Sunday 21 August 2016

The Race for Space - Part 2 - Public Service Broadcasting



Lyric:- 'In an age of both knowledge and ignorance' -  J. Willgoose, Esq. & Wrigglesworth

Song Choice:- I thought it was well worth another blog especially as I've been able to hear it on my home Hi-Fi. No doubt Pauline next door is enjoying it too!

Anyway, I've been home this weekend and it's been really ground-breaking for me and so reassuring in my rehabilitation from Bi-Phasic GBS, (SIDP). You see just 46 days ago I was readmitted to hospital where I couldn't move anything except my very weakened arms and I felt beaten.

Today I have managed to walk with ankle orthotics and I have a provisional discharge date from Rookwood Hospital - roll on 5th September. The end of hospitalisation is in sight for now. There's obviously still a long way to go until I am anywhere near back to what 'normality' represents for a sedentary person, let alone what it represents for a runner and sports coach... That said, I'm quite happy to wait for Mother Nature to take her course and gradually rebuild me.

What I've discovered this past six weeks or so is that there are no short-cuts to success. 

Only hard work, dedication and time (Mother Nature) work. Frustrating? Well 'Yes' of course but actually a 'No' too as I've been forced to exercise at a much lower threshold and do lots of exercises that I wouldn't normally do... as well as rest, as it's exhausting. My quads haven't been worked so hard in years.

It's improved my Coaching knowledge no end too by giving me a greater insight into injury and weakness. My real life experience has given me a clear insight into how to get through the 'Black Hole' of despair at not being able to run and being able to concentrate on diet, strength and core stability. I can happily say that learning to walk again has been a very positive experience.

From here on in, whatever improvement I now get is a complete bonus. It's something I feel that I've earned and not bought. The satisfaction I've enjoyed over the weeks from constantly hitting my mini-goals has provided me with great inspiration and hope for the next step.

Watch this space for next week's gains as my age of newfound knowledge grows.

More tomorrow.

Rory Coleman
976 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records - 8262 Days' Dry
www.RORYCOLEMAN.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment