Monday 22 August 2016

Shut Your Eyes - Snow Patrol

Lyrics:- 'And when the worrying starts to hurt, and the world feels like graves of dirt, just close your eyes until, you can imagine this place, yeah, our secret space, at will'.

They say there's always someone worse off than you. That reality hit home today as I've met that person in a guy called Terry. He's on my ward here at Rookwood Hospital in Cardiff. He's a very quiet and nice chap that, like me, is recovering from Guillain Barre Syndrome. The only difference is, he's had it a whole lot worse.

I've known him for a couple of weeks but the realisation of just how ill he's been with GBS only hit home when I came across a BBC short programme called 'Locked in my Body' on BBC3. It features him and the first 100 days of his recovery. 

My word, it hit me hard. I had to go and shake his hand amidst my tears of admiration, as the realisation of our relative degrees of GBS became crystal clear to me. Don't get me wrong, I know I've been seriously ill, but at least I wasn't ventilated or even worse suffered 'Locked in Syndrome' like he did.

Only being able to see when one's eyelids are lifted with no other form of communication or movement would be my personal nightmare. It would leave me with permanent mental scarring for sure. How the hell did he get through it?

It made me think, very long and very hard, about everything!

Hopefully, if you watch the show, you'll get some insight into what 'Living Hell' is like. Luckily, I haven't experienced it and I hope I never will. I believe a lot of the time we think things cant get any worse and we are the only person that's ever suffered with something or thinks their life is worse than anyone else's. Seeing this makes me think differently.

The programme, made me smell the coffee and if you believe you are in 'Living Hell' right now, take a look around as I bet there's a Terry, right under your nose to bring you 3-2-1 firmly back into the 'Room of Reality.

More tomorrow...and btw Terry's recovery is going from strength to strength :-)

Rory Coleman
976 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records
Feeling Very Humbled
www.RoryColeman.co.uk

1 comment: