Friday 26 August 2016

Holiday - Scorpions

Belle Island, Windermere
Lyrics:- 'Longing for the sun you will come, to the island without name' - Meine & Schenker

Song Choice:- From the brilliant 1979 'Lovedrive' album, Holiday has always been a stand out track for me from the German rockers better known perhaps for their 'Winds of Change' anthem. Have a listen here and it's nearly 40 years old so keep that in mind when you listen eh?

It's the Holiday on an island bit that I'm interested in for today's blog, especially with the August Bank Holiday looming on the horizon. Yep, the last weekend in August when it always rains. It does make me wonder why that particular weekend was ever chosen and on investigation, Google has informed me that the August Bank Holiday was instituted by the Bank Holidays Act of 1871 for the very English-minded purpose of giving bankers a day off so they could participate in cricket matches. So now you know.

Anyway, whilst the nation jumps into their cars and heads off to the coast for the last glimpse of Summer in their rear-view mirrors, here's a chance for you to switch off from the busy world out there do some planning for the Autumn ahead, and potentially find your own island to inhabit.

When my book finally hits the shelves, later on in the year, you'll find out all about my 'Living life on your own island' ideal. It's where I lived for years, probably more in safety from myself, as well as from other people. All I know is that it works and I'm sure lots of folk would find life a whole lot easier if they repositioned their mental location away from it's current positioning. A life-long holiday from all the stuff that is drives you potty has got to be worth it, hasn't it?

A worry and anxiety free island is more than my idea of a Bank Holiday break. I'm not too worried about the weather as I can't control that but I can control me and that's the important part.

How about switching off and heading off to your own tropical retreat, right inside your head. You make the rules - no one else! And be very careful, who you let on.

Happy Cricket!

More later...

Rory Coleman
976 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records
www.RoryColeman.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment