Thursday 18 August 2016

Go - Public Service Broadcasting

Lyric:- Guidance? Go, Control? Go, Go, Go, Go, Go - Willgoose Esq. & Wrigglesworth

Song Choice:- Another track from Public Service Broadcasting and a fascinating use of  archive footage from the Apollo 11 mission to the moon. Take a look here if you haven't heard these guys yet as I think they are the best thing to hit my ears for years! I just love their creativity and the fact that when you think music can’t evolve any further, they've only gone and done it.

It’s ‘Evolution’ that I’m interested in for today’s blog. The two dictionary definitions of Evolution are ‘the process by which different kinds of living organism are believed to have developed from earlier forms during the history of the earth’ or ‘the gradual development of something’. Putting the Darwinism to one side, during my illness, it’s been a fascinating process to go from being totally immobile from the neck down, to now being able to walk using poles as stabilisers, moving freely from A to B in safety at long last.

My six-week journey is considerably less than the 7.5 billion years of Evolution since Hominina (humans and biped ancestors) and Panina (chimps) separated, yet I feel I’ve already travelled light years. Relearning something that’s been totally instinctual for my 54 years, has been most strange and I’m still a long way off getting myself walking perfectly, unaided. 

Is it frustrating? Well, funnily not, as I know in my heart of heart’s that I’ll get there eventually.

It does make you think about a lot of the basics that we take for granted in life. And whilst ‘Landing on the Moon’ or developing the ‘Driverless Google Car’ is remarkable and thoroughly exciting, our own health and well-being is far more important. As part of my rehab, I saw a Psychologist yesterday to see how if I’m coping ok with the mental pressures of SIDP. I’m not sure whether there’s ever a definitive answer and I always think I sound quite mad when I vocalise my ‘Life Rationale’. I didn’t get carried away by men in white coats or end up heavily sedated so I must have some sanity left. So I'll move on up the evolutionary scale and keep working on my walking.

How’s your Evolution going?

Guidance? Go, Control? Go, Go, Go, Go, Go.

Rory Coleman
976 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records - 8261 Days' Dry
www.RoryColeman.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment